Monday, February 23, 2009

Different

I've mentioned before how important yoga practice is to me in general and how it has been a source of comfort throughout this pregnancy. It's been a growing experience for me, to accept what this changed body can do and work with that rather than forcing movement that just isn't possible right now. I've had to breathe my way through poses that in the past would have come much more easily, but having to work within my new realm of body and mind has been more beneficial than just arriving easily in poses. I certainly look forward to getting "my" body back and moving more easily, but this time of moving for two and sharing my body has been enlightening.

This picture was taken about two years ago after a morning of hiking near Las Vegas. I remember pushing effortlessly into full wheel and having little problem holding the pose (on a rock, none the less) while the picture was taken. While my form isn't exactly correct, I've always found it to be a gorgeous pose.


Now, I wouldn't even attempt wheel (not only could I not do it, but it wouldn't be safe), but do find that reverse table is a passable substitute. The form here is not ideal in the least, but then I'm 36 weeks pregnant and not going for ideal. I just want to maintain some strength and flexibility as I prepare for labor, birth and motherhood. Nothing comes without effort these days, but the very act of making the effort is part of the practice and part of accepting where I am and where I am going.

No comments: