Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cozy

As we move steadily into December, I've started the nesting process. To me this means making a batch of soup each weekend. Minestrone, chicken or turkey noodle and black bean have all been recent favorites. I've also been baking quite a bit. Maybe it's the time of year, or maybe because I love how my kitchen smells while whipping up a batch of cookies or quick bread. The smells of soup and baking just seem like home.

Chris and I have been trying hard to create a home since we've settled into this house, but that sense of home is even more important that it's not just for us anymore. We've been trying to keep things neater and clean up areas that haven't been organized in years. On some days, when the hormones are just right, a junk drawer or closet doesn't stand a chance around me. I've purged, organized and labeled what feels like war zones of closets and cabinets. I still have more to do and wish I had more time and energy to do it.

My goal is to have the house baby-ready by Christmas. That way, we'll be all ready in case anybody shows up early (though God forbid, that early) and I can just try to enjoy the third trimester. Chris has been working hard painting and rewiring the nursery. We chose a beautiful buttery yellow paint with white trim for the room. It's classic and soothing. I can't wait to spend time with the Olive in that room. It will be such a cozy space for him to be welcomed into our nest.

No comments: