Sunday, February 1, 2009

Latest Creation

I've been baking a lot this pregnancy. So much so that I think my neighbors might be tired of delivered treats to their doors. When Chris commented on the baking this morning as I was creating yet another recipe, I said it's because I can't drink. It made sense to me.

Anyway, this morning I had one overripe banana I wanted to use in something so I came up with this which seemed healthier and quicker to me than traditional banana bread. It is loosely based on this original recipe. If you try this, let me know what you think. As always with my recipes, add more or less of what like and remember all my measurements are approximate. As long as you end up with a batter (and not a dough), you should be good.

Fruit Whole Wheat Muffins
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 1/2 teaspoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Sprinkle of powdered ginger
3 - 5 teaspoons vegetable oil (start with three and add slowly to moisten the batter)
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup hot water
3 teaspoons sugar
1 individual serving of no sugar added apple sauce (if using from an actual jar, I would guess this about 1/4 cup)
1 mashed very ripe banana (could / should increase this for more banana flavor)
1/2 cup (or large handful) of whatever frozen fruit you have - I used cherries

Mix together all the ingredients, adding the banana and frozen fruit last. Portion into muffin pans. Bake at 325 for about 18 minutes.

*Note these are not overly sweet muffins, but do taste wholesome and delicious.

1 comment:

Brimful Curiosities said...

Hello,
Congrats! You are the winner of the "Let's Get Ready" Series giveaway on Brimful Curiosities. Please email me your mailing address within 72 hours so that I can notify the publisher. http://www.brimfulcuriosities.com/2009/01/lets-get-ready-series-review-and.html

pvilletoygirl@gmail.com

Janelle @ Brimful Curiosities