Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Books I Read (and I don't mean to my toddler)

Here are the books I read in 2010. I feel like I stopped recording at some point late in the year, but I do like having the list. Several of the books were for my book club, some were picked up a whim at the library, and a few came referred from NPR. I really liked almost all of these books although some while enjoyable at the time are easy forgotten (The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club) and some (Never Let Me Go) still have me thinking.

Books Read 2010

  1. Their Eyes Were Watching God – Zora Neale Hurston
  2. Me Talk Pretty One Day – David Sedaris (re-read)
  3. Her Fearful Symmetry – Audrey Niffenegger
  4. The Help – Kathryn Stockett
  5. NurtureShock - Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
  6. The Unhealthy Trurth - Robyn O'Brien
  7. Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage - Elizabeth Gilbert
  8. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larsson
  9. The Year of Magical Thinking - Joan Didion
  10. Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay
  11. No Reservations - Anthony Bourdain
  12. The Happiest Toddler on the Block - Dr. Harvey Karp
  13. The Last Chinese Chef - Nicole Mones
  14. The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
  15. Life's a Beach - Claire Cook
  16. The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club - Gil McNeil
  17. Lost and Found: A Novel - Carolyn Parkhurst
  18. The Hand that First Held Mine - Maggie O'Farrell
  19. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
  20. The Handmaid and the Carpenter - Elizabeth Berg
  21. A Version of the Truth - Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack
  22. Irish Girls About Town: An Anthology of Short Stories - various
  23. Best Friends Forever: A Novel - Jennifer Weiner
  24. Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
  25. The Wedding Officer: A Novel - Anthony Cappella
  26. Little Bee - Chris Cleave
  27. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  28. Alice I Have Been - Melanie Benjamin
  29. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
  30. All We Ever Wanted Was Everything - Janelle Brown
  31. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk - David Sedaris

3 comments:

EoG Mama said...

Hi Amy,

Great list, thanks for sharing! What were some of your favorites? "Little Bee" is on my short list. What did you think of "Red Tent"? My book club is reading "Strength in What Remains" this month- is one of my new favorite books ever.

Emily

Amy said...

Emily,

Little Bee was a bit of a disappointment because it sounded so good, but didn't live up to the promise (at least that's what our book club thought). I liked Red Tent.

You might really like NutureShock since you are expecting and have a science background. Otherwise I really liked The Help, Her Fearful Symmetry and Water for Elephants.

Thanks for the book recommendation.

TheKate said...

I love your list. Are you on goodreads? It is the only book site that I found worthwhile.