Sunday, August 31, 2008

Yes We Can

Yesterday I had the opportunity to stand on the field of my old high school and hear (and sometimes see) the person who I hope becomes the next president. This was the stadium where more than 10 years ago, I watched Friday night football games, so it was a stunning reversal to see if packed with 19,000 Obama supporters.

Dublin doesn't trend Democratic, so I was a little surprised to see the turn-out. As we waited in line to get into the stadium, I told my mom and Chris how I clearly remember being the only vote in my mock 4th grade election for Dukakis. Seriously out of a class of 29 kids, I was the sole vote for the Democratic ticket.

Also, waiting in line, it was motivating to see the diversity of people waiting hours to try to get a seat at this event. People brought children and friends, there was black and white and Asian and Indian, we saw old and young. Undoubtedly, this candidate, this man is speaking to many different people and people are responding.

The speech was, as I expected delivered flawlessly. On television, I am often impressed with his oratorical skills, but in person, I had a better sense of the passion behind his words. Much of the speech was similar to his acceptance speech on Thursday, but the words and ideas still resonated with me.

I'm so glad we went to see this historic event and I hope the momentum of this campaign continues.

No comments: