Friday, November 21, 2008

That Christmas Spirit

I know, I know, it's too early to be talking about the holiday season...but indulge me anyway. I'm typically a person who staunchly waits until after Thanksgiving to do any type of holiday of activity. So until the turkey noodle soup (made with the end of the Thanksgiving bird) is all gone, there is no gift buying, no wrapping, no caroling and certainly no general merrymaking. All of this grinchiness changed last night as I sat in the beautiful and ornate Ohio Theater and watched Harry Connick Jr. perform his Christmas concert. The show was fantastic and a lot of fun. On top of being adorable, it turns out Harry is totally goofy. The regal setting in the Ohio Theater couldn't be beat for a night of jazz and the snow falling outside was just an added bonus to really make it clear that Christmas is on its way.

Smiling as Harry made his way through the familiar tunes, I couldn't help but to think of the other not-to-be missed activities around Columbus this season.
  • I'll definitely be making it to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium for Winter Wildlights. Bundling up and sipping hot chocolate as you stroll through the light display is half the fun, so no fair picking a warm day to visit (besides it's more crowded on the warmer days and way more crowded as you get closer to December 5).
  • Although I usually avoid the malls this time of the year, I am really excited to visit Easton Town Center at some point. The folks there have gone out of their way to make shopping into an experience. Beautiful decorations, carriage rides, pedicabs and photos with Santa are all featured. It's the Season of Giving at Easton and if you are caught feeding a meter, you might be rewarded with a gift card that is given out each hour.
  • The Holiday Hop in the Short North Arts District is always on my holiday must-do list. Not only is the Short North a great destination for one of kind gifts, but it also a wonderful urban holiday experience complete with fantastic window displays and unbeatable people watching.
  • For me the holiday season wouldn't be complete without letting some of that inner snarkiness escape (and it's best not to do that with family around), for this purpose there is nothing better than a trip to Catco's Santaland Diaries. You can't beat the works of David Sedaris for bringing out the levity in any situation and this one-man show leaves me in tears of laughter.

Next year, with an 8 month old baby, I know Christmas won't be about me anymore. I'm looking forward to that. I can't wait to put funny hats on the little Olive and take pictures under the tree, but this year I want to make sure I take full advantage of Christmas without a child. So from here on out, there will be baking and decorating and shopping galore. I'll make sure not to forget about the general merrymaking either.

What are your not-to-be-missed holiday outings or traditions?

No comments: