Thursday, December 29, 2011

Big Boy

Milo is currently getting tucked into his big boy room for the first time tonight. I realize the parenting "experts" say this important step should have been done months before the new baby's arrival and not, as in our case, weeks or perhaps days. Still we are feeling a huge sense of accomplishment in that the room is ready and the baby is still in my belly. Now we just have to hope the adjustment goes well. He is very excited about the big boy room and bed (a twin sized one which he looks adorably itty bitty in), so I am crossing my fingers that it will go well.

In celebration of the big boy room, I wanted to jot down a few quick notes about our big boy before our little guy makes his appearance.
  • He's a lover that one. A friend told me today that yesterday at a play date, he stopped playing and told her he was just going to go check on a baby in the group. He went and stood at the baby's bassinet, said hello and returned to playing. Likewise, he has been very protective and sweet of me lately. I was taking a rest yesterday and he came up to check on how I was doing, he petted my arm and said feel better Mommy.
  • He talks quite well now. I can almost always understand him and others are starting to not have a tough time with it either. Of course pronouns and verb tenses sometimes trip up. I often hear do instead of does / my instead and I and vice versa. One of my favorite language mess ups I hear is that he always says "I love you too" even when he initiates the phrase.
  • Milo, for all his sweetness, is also stubborn. There are times when it is far, far easier to just give in rather than battle with his strong will. There are also times when his stubbornness is quite amazing to watch. We have a ladder that leads to our attic. He loves to go up, but is scared to come down. One night, we watched as proved to himself he could climb back down that ladder. Even if he was crying and fighting us the whole way, he was going to do it. And he did.
  • The stubbornness also means that potty training is commencing on his own terms. If he decides when and where he sits on the potty, things go quite well. If we suggest it, there is quickly a fight. So he's about a quarter of the way potty trained. We've had some great moments and some not so great moments. I'm not pushing it too much as I know there is likely to be regression once the baby is born.
  • Milo's favorite toys right now are Thomas the Train items. He loves the books, DVDs and all variety of trains. He often races around the house pretending to be Belle the fire engine train and will assign us train roles as well. I know more about the Island of Sodor than I ever thought I would.
  • He is also very much into Buzz Lightyear and to a lesser degree Toy Story. His Buzz jammies remain his favorite. In fact, we just bought the next size up because the first pair had not only seen better days, but also was getting too small. He's wearing these new jammies in his new room tonight.
I am so excited to see Milo take on the role of big brother. He has so much love and a keen sense of adventure to share with the little one. Each morning, Milo comes into my bed for a little cuddle. He will often say "so Mommy what we do today" and if I don't have an answer, he will have a suggestion. And that's just one more thing I love about him.

No comments: