Monday, January 19, 2009

Too Much Excitement

I knew this coming week would be exciting one. How could it not be, starting off with a vacation day and then moving right into the inauguration and the series premiere of Lost. All three are much anticipated events for me and I was looking forward to the excitement surrounding each.

However, today I think I crossed over the threshold of anticipation officially into TOO much excitement. This morning as I was enjoying my day off, practicing yoga and eating oatmeal, I didn't notice The Olive moving at all. I drank some cranberry juice and laid on my left side and again felt nothing. Usually if I give this kid some sugar, there are kicks and punches and a general dance party going on in my belly. So when I called my doctor's office to get a new vitamin prescription, I mentioned the no movement thing in my message. This was a little before lunch time and I didn't expect a call back until later, so I decided to fit in a pedicure. On my way to the pedi place, the office called back and told me to go straight to L&D at the hospital. Uh, what? I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but after talking with Chris and my Mom, decided it was better to err on the side of caution and have them check me out.

I'm happy to report that the hospital I'll be giving birth in (not until March, please) is very nice and the nursing staff are quite lovely. My nurse hooked me up to a monitor, where we learned the baby was doing fine. I, however, was having a few contractions. These just felt like back pain to me, but they were strong enough to warrant some type of test to see if I was secreting some type of protein that signals labor in the next few weeks. The test came back negative and I was sent on my way home.

I left feeling a little silly about the whole thing. Baby was good, and there was nothing really wrong with me either. The nurse, Chris and my Mom all assured me I did the right thing by going in and getting checked out, if for nothing else than the peace of mind. I still feel like an overreacting first time mom, but I'm glad to know everything is fine.

So Lost and the inauguration had better pull out all the stops to live up to my expected level of event anticipation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Don't feel silly, I was even worse during the 2nd pregnancy :) I'm so glad you and the baby are doing great!