Sunday, January 4, 2009

And Here it is...2009

Happy New Year everyone! I managed to stay awake for midnight on New Year's Eve (no small feat since I was turning 31years old and 28 weeks pregnant) and I've been paying for it ever since. Luckily, I had a nice long weekend to recover and catch up on sleep, and now I can do the yearly resolution post. It's been hard for me this year to come up with resolutions because I simply don't know what having a baby is going to hold for us. I don't want to resolve to do something and then find out that it just won't work out for our family.

So with that said, resolution Number 1 is Go With the Flow. I'll try to focus on being more laid-back and less control-driven. While I think I am pretty easy-going, this has been a struggle for me in the past. I like to know what is going to happen next. Now the realization is hitting me that I just need to let that go - I can't always know what is going to happen and I need to be open for several different possibilities. Where this will test me the most is during the actual labor and delivery. I've already broached the subject of a birth plan with my Doctor, who gently told me the only plan he was worried about was a healthy baby and mom and urged me not to get too tied to one ideal scenario in my head. I'm sure after the actual arrival of the Olive, I'll find plenty of other chances to go with the flow and let go of preconceived notions of what I think motherhood should be like.

Resolution Number 2 is get back in shape post-baby. Those ten pounds I resolved to lose last year were still hanging around when I got pregnant and they've since been joined by about 25 more. A simple neighborhood walk pretty much kicks my butt at this point and I'm amazed that at this time last year I was finishing a 5k. So once the baby is ready to leave the house, we'll be doing lots of walks (eventually leading up to jogs) and I'll be signing up for a yoga class.

Resolution Number 3 is to not lose sight of myself when the baby comes. Sure, I want to be a good mom, but I also want to be a good person, wife and friend. This will mean making time for myself and making time for Chris and me.

All in all, I think these resolutions will serve me and my growing family well. I'm really looking forward to 2009, I think it will be a great year, full of new life, hope and wellness. What are you looking forward to in the new year?

No comments: