Thursday, April 16, 2009

One Month

This past Thursday marked one month since Milo has been with us. In some ways the month has gone so fast and in some ways it's been the longest month of my life. Some reflections on Milo's first month of life:

  • One of my favorite things he does is to reach over with his little hand and tightly grab my finger while I'm feeding him. It's probably just a reflex thing, but I love how he holds on for several minutes as if to say we're in this together and I'm so glad you're my mom.


  • Milo has set his own schedule, which to be honest I can't decide if I actually like. The schedule is eat or cry most of the day and especially during the evening and then sleep from about 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Repeat. On the plus side I get uninterrupted sleep during the night, but by the end of the day I feel both emotionally drained and physically drained of milk. Still, there is the sleep, so I really shouldn't complain.


  • Our little guy makes the most adorable faces. Sometimes I think we should have named him Oliver because he has that "Please, Sir, more" look down pat during feedings. He'll get all wide eyed and form his mouth into a little round circle, it's pretty cute. Then, if I am taking too long looking at him, he'll throw his head into the crook of my arm to get himself into feeding position.


  • Milo has a really strong suck which is making feeding him easy and I'm thankful for that, but the side effect of a strong suck is hickeys. I walked around for 4 days with a hickey on my cheek. Yesterday Milo was sucking on his own arm and it left a nice little mark. Who would have thought I would have to start checking my son for hickeys at one month? High school should be interesting.


  • Tummy time has paid off because Milo is pretty good at holding his head up. He likes to look around and the ceiling fan is a special favorite for gazing.


  • While we're not totally sure it isn't just gas, we think we've seen a couple of actual baby smiles. Sometimes Milo will also mirror back facial expressions which is fun for all involved.

  • Having a baby in the house creates some type of time warp. Days go by so quickly in a blur of feeding, burping, napping and general staring at the cuteness. I can't believe he is already a month old and has grown so much. He's packed on almost 3 pounds and two inches onto his little frame. Each day brings something new for Milo to experience and for us to learn about him. I can't wait to see what next month will bring.

1 comment:

Nutsy Coco said...

I can't believe it's already been a month! He's very cute and Chris and I would love to meet him. This is Melanie Hughes by the way :)