Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Currently Reading

If you took a peek at my nightstand these days you would see the latest hot novel (although I did find time to race through The Lost Symbol last month) and back copies of Yoga Journal have been covered up with parenting books. Specifically parenting books on sleeping. I've been getting these out of the library because 1) budget reasons, 2) each one is slightly different but has the same general ideas and 3) I don't want these sitting on a shelf in 5 years reminding me of this phase. Interestingly there is always a waiting list at the library for these types of books. It makes me feel good there are other sleep deprived parents out there who are looking for the magic cure for non-sleeping tots.

One parenting type book, although not about sleeping (I needed a break) that I recently read and really enjoyed was Hungry Monkey. It's written by a SAHD (stay at home dad) who loves to cook and is making it a mission to have his little girl love food as much as he does. Much like Julie and Julia, this book falls into the category of I wish I would have thought of it first, but since I didn't I'm so glad I'm along for the ride. Hungry Monkey was light and entertaining with plenty of intrigue for the foodie. I've come to realize that when writing about one's child, no one is going to think they are quite as special as you yourself do, and this was certainly the case for this book, also. However, Iris (the little girl) does seem cute and is an engaging "character" foil for her gungho cooking father. Plus there are some good recipes I want to try.

Chris didn't get a chance to read it before it was due back at the library, so we may just buy this one. I wouldn't mind having it on the shelf in 5 years as I also hope to have an adventurous eater (who by the grace of God and possibly with the help of Ferber is sleeping through the night).

No comments: