Saturday, January 2, 2010

Resolution Time: Looking Back

With the start of each new year, we get the opportunity to think about ways to improve our life. We can reflect on how our actions are making our daily lives better, or not so much better. I'm looking forward to making a few little tweaks to make 2010 really shine.

Before I look ahead though, I wanted to revisit last year's resolutions and take stock. I always think it is key to know where you've been before you know where you want to go. So how did I do with the 2009 list? Okay.

I could probably still work on going with the flow a little more. (Although it seems to me that little anecdote about the birth plan and my OB should have sounded a warning siren to me). Parenthood seems to be a constant lesson in getting over one's self and going with the flow is a big part of that for me. It could use some work, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I did better at the second resolution. Not only did I lose all the baby weight, I lost those extra 10 pounds, too. While this is great, I can't say it took any Herculean effort from me. Instead, the combination of breast feeding, diet restrictions and lugging around a 20+ pound baby did it. Still, chalking that up to a new year's resolution met.

The final resolution - having an identity outside of Milo's mom - is probably the most not met resolution. Especially since I quit working, this could use some work. I really treasure being Milo's mom, but it is time consuming and it is all new so it takes up most of my attention. This will stay on the list for 2010.

Later this week, stay tuned for the rest of my tantalizing resolutions for this year and decade.

No comments: