Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Gone to Black

Going against my ancestry, I was never a huge fan of the Sopranos. Or, if you agree with my Uncle Charley who would loudly proclaim that the series was a stereotypical mockery of Italians, staying with me ancestry. Either way, I couldn't take the violence and language. I don't consider myself a prude, but some of the episodes I did watch were just way too much for me. This being said, I did follow the plot of the series through the occasional watching, conversation and weekly review online. I know who Pussy is, how Christopher died and why Carmela was so pissed off. Since I wasn't a huge fan of the show, I think the ending was very fitting and poetic. But then I didn't need to have my questions answered; I just wasn't that invested.

You can barely turn on the television or surf the Internet without hearing / reading some one's take on the ending of this groundbreaking series (these types of stories always use the adjective groundbreaking). On the way home tonight, listening to NPR tonight, I heard a new take on this issue. Daniel Schorr suggests so many people responded so badly to this ending because the rest of our world is fading to black with no answers. We didn't want it to happen again.

No comments: