Monday, June 25, 2007

My Life Through the Years of Com Fest

Another summer has been marked by the passing of Com Fest. For those uninitiated by Com Fest, check out the home page and read the guiding principles. For you impatient folks, I'll give you the quick synopsis: Com Fest is short for Community Festival and it is a large, free festival in the Short North / Victorian Village area of Downtown Columbus. Primarily known for it's laid-back hippie styling, cool music and unbeatable people watching, Com Fest is an annual Columbus tradition the weekend following the first official day of summer.

I can look back over the last several years and mark what was going on in my life by what happened at Com Fest. There was the year I walked around terrified about running into an ex. There was the year, I flat out refused to go because of the fear of seeing the said ex (silly, sad little me). There was the great year when brother, Nicole and I huddled under a tent in a torrential downpour. Then there was last year, when Chris and I fought because he kept calling it Commie Fest. He had never been and didn't see the allure. Hours later he was passed out on a curb and Com Fest had won another fan.

This year, Com Fest was another memorable year in my life, having learned that when going to a Festival you should just go to the Festival and not to nearby bars afterwards. You'll have a much easier next day. Even hippies have to grow up at some point.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I once did Com Fest with Tony :) It was a lot of fun! We have that same thing here. One in downtown Denver and one in Boulder. This year, we did the Boulder one. John doesn't see the attraction of it either! lol But goes to humour me.