Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Something Wicked This Way Comes...

No, I'm not going through my annual Shakespeare phase, tomorrow we are going to see Wicked. I'm excited about this for various reasons. One because I had the foresight to buy tickets back in December. Columbus has a history of selling out touring Broadway shows pretty quickly (remember the first time Phantom came through?) and this show is no exception. Some crazy people stood in line in the rain early one morning to get these tickets. Needless to say, I didn't. I'm also excited because we are going to celebrate my dad's birthday and my parent's anniversary. All good stuff there.

I saw the show in New York a couple of years back and I'm interested to see it again and on the road. I saw it with the original cast (except Galinda who had the night off) and the show was simply fantastic.

I read the book years ago, so along go in fact, I think I might have been in college at the time. The first time I read it, I was taken in by the Wizard of Oz connection. What a great idea to write the prequel to a much loved American icon! The book really kept the political undertones of the Frank Baum book in mind and though at times it was hard to get through, Wicked became a favorite of mine.

A book becoming a favorite of mine means it gets revisited, so upon subsequent readings, the story took on new meanings for me. The Wicked of Witch isn't so much evil as she is misunderstood and made out to be bad by a society heading the opposite directions of her ideals. I was happy to see this theme became such a focal point of the musical and I can't wait to revisit the theatrical version again to see what else I get out of it.

No comments: