Friday, April 11, 2008

Just Do It Already

I can procrastinate with the best of them. Or the worst of them as the case may be. School projects regularly were completed the night before. College brought hours of computer solitaire games before actually beginning a paper. I'm typically running late for work. Okay, I'm always late for work. I just put things off. Most of the time I put off things I'm not really looking forward. This week, I went to the dentist for the first time in a year and a half. I just kept putting off that call because I hate sitting in that leany back chair while people put sharp instruments in my mouth.

The only aspect of my procrastinating that makes me disappointed with myself, is that it has become such a habit that I usually put off tasks I want to do in addition to those I don't. It took me more than a year to complete Level 1 of my yoga training. I wanted to do it, I just didn't. I find this to be the case a lot and I'm trying to change it because I suspect I'm missing out on some great experiences. Some of the hesitation is probably a lack of confidence, but some of it is just plain old procrastinating. I've being wanting to sign up for a ceramics class at the Cultural Arts Center for three years. Seriously, every couple of months a note pops up on my calendar to check the class schedule and sign up. I called once two years ago, but classes were full and I didn't make an effort after that. Registration starts again on Monday and this time I'm just going to do it.

I'm going to be a person who does rather than who wants to do.

No comments: