Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Birthday


Leo wasn't the only one who had a big birthday lately.  I turned 35(!) on January 1.  While I am okay with aging (as if there is any choice), this birthday being so mid-lifeish did throw me for a bit of a loop.  I can't say I am in my thirties anymore.  Since I still seem to think of myself as being 27, this is a bit of a surprise.  However, I love my life and where I am at in it.  With that in mind, I chose to celebrate the day and maybe push my boundaries a little.  Just like when I turned 30 I signed up to run a 5k.  Chris was a sport and signed up, too and then surprisingly after mentioning it on Facebook three other friends decided to do it as well.  This made the morning so fun!  
My parents took the boys for the day (and they had a wonderful day) while Chris and I headed downtown for the race.  We knew it would be cold for the race but the path was also snowy and icy.  This made the run a little slower and more treacherous than planned.  It was so icy the organizers actually shortened the course to be 2.6 miles rather than 3.2.  I didn't realize this at the time and was a little disappointed when I did learn this later.  I was thinking I had a rock star (for me) time of finishing in 32 minutes.  In reality, the time was so great because we didn't do a half mile of the course.  Regardless, I am proud of myself for doing the race and it is still an accomplishment.  Plus a great way to start off the new year!

After the race we headed out for a long brunch complete with a few adult beverages.  Being out with friends, Chris and my brother in the middle of the afternoon with no children around was such a treat! We then headed back to my parents to continue the celebration with the traditional pork, sauerkraut and cupcakes.

It was a fantastic day.  I don't think I could have asked for more:  family, friends, good health, fun exercise, good food and many many laughs and hugs.  With a start like this 2013 and 35 is going to be a great year! 

Me crossing the finish line





No comments: