Saturday, June 14, 2008

More Than a Chance to Nap

When I lived at home with my parents, most late afternoon weekends would find us watching whatever golf tournament happened to be on. I got to know the golfers by name and by game. My dad was watching for the golf. My mom and I mostly watched for the moments after the tournament when the family of the winning player would make their appearances. Seeing Phil Mickelson's adorable young family was always my favorite.

We won't be seeing them tomorrow, however, because right now Phil happens to be 10 over in the US Open. I know this because all those years of watching Sunday afternoon golf, have become less how to pass the time before dinner and more of an enjoyable habit. And now, I actually watch golf on television by choice and by myself. Like I am right now, with a margarita in hand.

I like the calmness of the game and watching the emotional devotion it takes these players to stay in the zone. It's fun to giggle at some of the ridiculous things the announcers say to fill airtime. The scenery is usually exquisite. And you can't beat the background noise of television golf for taking a cat nap. Also, I've had the pleasure of watching golf in person and while it is fun, you can't beat television for the breadth of coverage. It's a game that I just think is better to watch from the comfort of your own couch.

No comments: