Sunday, June 8, 2008

Big Excitement

A few weeks ago my friend Sara sent me an e-mail letting me know Jimmy Buffet's new book was just released. Since I'm still trying to not buy books, I put my name on the waiting list at the library and now after (mostly) patient waiting, I am number 1 on the list. Woo hoo and please hurry up and return it to the library if you happen to be reading a copy from CML, m'kay?

While I am eagerly awaiting the e-mail letting me know the book is ready to be picked up, I'm not expecting great literature, here. I've read his past books and I know what I'm getting myself into - lots of island descriptions, short chapters, some fun action and quirky characters. I like the Buffet books for the ridiculous escapism they offer and the feeling that I, too, could be enjoying life on a beach with a boat drink in hand. It will be great pool reading over the next hot and humid weeks of June.

This is the same reason I like Jimmy's music. Again, we're not talking musical genius, but we are talking guy with a guitar, a raspy voice and some stories to tell that transport you to another time and place. Sure, it can get cheesy, but that's part of the fun. The other part of the fun is the vast amounts of alcohol consumed at concerts, but that's really a story for another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I knew you are a Buffett fan...Tim is too. He has all the books and listen's primarily to JB's jams. We're going to Chicago in a few weeks to see him also. It'll be my first time!

Have you gottent the book from the library yet?