Monday, June 9, 2008

When Will I Learn...

...that it is never a good idea to put something you know you will need later in a really clever location. You might as well throw the item into a crowd and hope it will find its way back. My latest purposefully losing something was done several months ago in the dark winter months. I found the key to the pool at my old condo location and I decided I would put it in my pool bag to be ready for the hot and humid days of early June. I clearly and specifically remembering putting the key in a bag that I would take to the pool.

Finally, after making it through months of darkness falling at 5:30 p.m. and a surprise snowstorm, the perfect pool day arrived today. I had taken a day off and after completing several loads of laundry, organizing my closet and cleaning up our bedroom, I wanted to reward myself with a trip to the pool. Laying by the pool with a book ranks in my top five favorite activities.

So I start to look for my pool bag. Which isn't as easy as it sounds because I quickly discover I have an even dozen of possible pool bags and I couldn't remember which pool bag I smartly placed the key in. With a gasp and a sinking heart, I remembered that I realized how ridiculous that was the last time I was cleaning out closets and donated several other possible pool bags to Goodwill. I'm afraid, because I've scoured the house for it, the key might have been part of the donation.
It's going to be a long, hot, cranky summer.

* Happy Ending Update:

I found the key! My memory is not quite as infallible as I had thought. Because what I specifically remembered is clearly not what happened. After searching through bags, baskets and junk drawers with no luck, I decided to continue organizing the bedrooms. Lo and behold the key was in a jewelry box. Not a smart place for it, but at least it hadn't been accidentally donated to Goodwill.
So I got my hour at the pool after all. And now, I'm ready for nap because nothing tuckers me out like five minutes of swimming laps and then 55 minutes of laying and reading. And no worries, the key is now in the pink striped pool bag so I know where it is for next time.

No comments: