Monday, November 19, 2007

Not Reading

I think I may be making up for a good portion of the American population who, according to a new study out today, aren't reading for pleasure. Evidently, reading for pleasure peaks at the age of 10 or otherwise known as the 4th grade (not coincidentally the age where I remember reading wasn't an everyday part of school and parents stop reading to / with kids). That's sad. I was always encouraged to read and I can't imagine not having it as a weekly (we aim for daily around here, but being honest) part of my life. Learning new things, hearing differing opinions and simply being entertained are all part of why I am drawn to reading. These reasons are important eye-openers and are also why I am so concerned about this study's findings. If people don't read, how are they are learning about people who are different than them? And why should they care?

No comments: