Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful

When I think give thanks, I can't help but to run the prayer we sometimes say before dinner through my head..."Blessed O Lord and these thy gifts which we are about to receive through your bounty and Christ the Lord. Amen." Or something like that, the words always get garbled for me in the middle. I like this prayer because it's short and to the point, but sincere.

Since we are getting married just two short days after Thanksgiving, thanks has been on my mind a lot lately. This year for me it's not about the turkey and the pumpkin pie (although yum). I'm so thankful for Chris and for my family. I'm thankful for the wedding we are about to have. One of my brothers called it the family event of a lifetime. And it is - I'm the only girl and we've all been looking forward to this day for a long time.

Gifts come in all shapes and sizes. I'm thankful for each Crate & Barrel box which finds it way to our house, but I'm even more thankful for the good wishes that come in the shape of that piece of stemware or each flatware place setting. The smiles on the faces of everyone who have wished us well have each meant so much to us. I was unprepared for how nice everyone has been to me just for getting married. Co-workers and friends of the family have gone out of their way to go above and beyond and I'm thankful to each one of them.

I love that each year we'll be celebrating our anniversary right around Thanksgiving. It will serve as a simple reminder of the core things we have to be thankful for: each other and our families.

No comments: