Saturday, February 2, 2008

Better Woman Than I

Chris had to work late last night and then head into the office today also. While this is irritating to him and also throws a wrench into getting our bedroom up and running again, it gave me the opportunity to read Julie & Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen. I had reserved it from the library several weeks back and it just came in earlier this week. This is a quick read, light and fun. The basic premise is this girl who is turning 30, stuck in a dead-end job and unhappy with life in general decides to tackle a project of cooking all 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year.

No surprises here, it gets to be tough going for a while and Julie's hysterics don't always help, but through the project she gains fame and a sense of purpose. The book is a little disjointed in parts, but that is to be expected because it is taken from her blog where she faithfully updates her "bleaders" on attempts in the kitchen. This book hooked me from the beginning. The author is very relatable and I can imagine sitting down with Julie, having a gimlet (vodka for her, gin for me) and some girl talk. However, I can't relate to the challenge she takes on. Livers, calf brains and sweetmeats, oh my! I like to think of myself as an adventurous cook and appreciative eater, but not only do I not think I could finish the project; there isn't even a part of me who would want to give it a go. So, I give her the all the credit she's getting for this work and I'll leave the French cooking to the masters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, I will add it to my list of books I need to read! I only got 20 pages into my book this weekend :(