Saturday, February 9, 2008

He had People

Being an overly dramatic and romantic teenager who devoured books, I was incredibly drawn to Gone with the Wind. Not only did it have a high spirited heroine of a bygone era, it was also long. And give me a long book which I can get lost in and I'm one happy girl. Fiddle-dee-dee. So when, while I was in college, the authorized sequel came out, I was thrilled but also rather apprehensive. Could someone else recapture the feeling of Clayton County, Georgia and its favorite daughter? I liked the book well enough. It satisfied my urge to know what happened after Scarlett said tomorrow is another day. True, that sequel turned the whole thing into a fantasy romance. Scarlett buying the original Tara in Ireland? Rhett rescuing her in her moment of need? Fine, whatever. I'll take it, but I refused to watch the made for TV movie version. There is only one Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable, right?

So it was with a tepid response I had heard another authorized book came out, this one focusing on Rhett. I guess the author, Donald McCraig, didn't like the ending in Scarlett either, because he gives us a totally different story to ponder. If you're a GWTW nut or like historical fiction, check out the book, but don't expect to be taken back to the Scarlett and Rhett you are expecting. I guess some things are better left to the imagination.

No comments: