Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Rings

For the first time since I've been engaged (over a year) and since we've been married (just shy of three months), today I forgot to wear my wedding band and engagement ring to work. I was driving to work, going over the checklist in my head of things to do today, when I realized the familiar heaviness of my rings was absent. I briefly considered turning back, but the roads were icy and I was late to work as it was, no I would have to go through a day not wearing the rings. My heart sank and I called Chris to let him know I had forgotten them on the windowsill after mixing the meatloaf which was last night's dinner.

I didn't think it would be a big deal to not have the rings on for one day. A hunk of carbon and some white gold, does not a marriage make. But throughout the day, I was bothered that I wasn't wearing the symbol of our relationship. I realized that in tense moments during meetings, I unconsciously run the back of the bands with my thumb. I found that while composing e-mails, I stare at the brilliance of the diamond for inspiration. Without my rings, I realized just what a reassuring presence they are throughout my everyday life. Like an anchor securing me to what is important in my life, the rings stand for love, family and a circle unbroken.

When I got home, I immediately put the rings back on my left hand. I don't think I'll be forgetting them again anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! On the rare occasions I forget my rings it feels almost like I'm missing a limb. It's amazing how much a part of you that your rings, and all they symbolize, become.