Friday, February 8, 2008

Season of Renewal

Lent is the time each year in which we are asked to look inward for 40 days before rejoicing at Easter. Or at least that is what I take it for. It seems a lot of my beliefs these days are a mixed bag between my Catholic religion and the more I learn and understand about yoga practice. So looking inward and having awareness makes sense to me and really it is the point of both disciplines. For the first time in years, I went to Mass on Ash Wednesday where I was marked with the sign of sin. For the rest of the day, I was stared at; deciding how to react to that is in itself an act of faith. I skipped out on an evening reception I was scheduled to attend to head home and make tuna noodle casserole. Probably not the best reaction, but renewal doesn't come overnight.

So for these 40 days of Lent, I will abstain from meat on Fridays, attend church each week and look inward. Rather than being the punishment some people perceive it as, I am looking forward to it. For more on how others will celebrate Lent in Central Ohio, click here.

No comments: