Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Library

I have recently rediscovered the library. In an ongoing effort to save money and not bring any additional items into this already packed to the rafters house, the library has been a good friend. Actually, the library has always been a good friend and I should have expected it to be there when I need it. I have fond memories of story time and Amelia Badelia at the Bexley library. I always knew important things happened there because when you entered the grand marble foyer, there was a general hush. In my pre-teen years, I must have read just about every book in the Dublin's young adult section. Unfortunately, the library and I lost touch in my twenties. We just weren't connecting. I still read, but I was either buying books or borrowing from friends.

In addition to the books being free and me getting to return them, what I like about the library is that I read things I wouldn't otherwise. I recently picked up Survival of the Sickest by Dr. Sharon Moalem. This book is fascinating! It explains why some disease might have stuck itself in our genetic code as coping mechanisms for past events such as plagues or radical temperature changes. Basically, it examines disease through an evolutionary view. It is a really interesting read and something that makes you go, huh, I never thought about that.

So thanks, CML!

No comments: