Saturday, December 15, 2007

Running into 30

My birthday happens to be the first day of the year. When I was small, I used to think the parade on television and the party my parents threw each year was all for me. I found it a little suspicious that we only had birthday cake during the halftime of the Rose Bowl, but otherwise the set-up was great. Even now that I realize football was maybe a big part of the reason for my party, there is still a sense of everyone is partying with me.

This upcoming birthday is a big one for me. I'll be leaving my twenties and joining the thirty-something ranks. While some of my friends have met this milestone with regret and depression, I am choosing to think of it as a celebration. I have great things to look forward to ahead and I'm excited to use my life experience to make better decisions and lead a well-rounded life. The lyrics of that Tim McGraw song keep running through my head - I really do hope to do it better in the next 30 years.

To start out my next decade, I've decided to not meet in with a hangover from New Year's Eve. Instead, I'll be participating in this 5k. Chris has to go also (he married me and my crazy ideas). No one else has agreed on account of the aforementioned hangover and oh yeah, the cold. However, I think this will be a great way to greet 30 head on and I am looking forward to the challenge.

No comments: