Monday, December 31, 2007

And Winning the 2007 Yuck Category...

Upon arriving home after the honeymoon, I noticed, or rather could not ignore, a pimple looking thing on my leg. It was surrounded by about two or three inches of inflamed red, warm, swollen skin. After a couple of Google searches, I was pretty sure it was ring worm. A couple more of these then popped up on my leg. After having mom look at it, she was pretty sure it was a staph infection. That evening during yoga, I noticed three more coming out on my inner elbow. I said Namaste and got myself to Urgent Care. The doctor looked at it, said it didn't look good and sent me home with two different antibiotics to take for 10 days.

Twelve days later and I thought everything was fine, until last Thursday morning when after my shower, I noticed, uh, oh another spot. I went to my regular doctor on Friday who seemed a little more concerned about the whole thing. He took a culture, took some blood and sent me home with yet another oral antibiotic and some antibiotic ointment. Today, the call came that this seemingly innocent little spot is actually MRSA. As far as I can tell, in spite of the dire stories in the media about this superbug, if you are a healthy adult then it's not that big of a deal. It's just scary to know I have a bacteria which can't be treated by most antibiotics. Luckily, my second Doctor was erring on the side of caution and prescribed me those drugs which do work for this. In a couple of years, however, these drugs might also lose their potency which will be really really scary, as MRSA in it's worse forms can be life-threatening.

In the meantime, I'm getting lots of rest (I've been super tired and feverish this whole month of December, but I have chalked that up to the holidays) and trying to eat right. Everything is getting washed on the sanitize cycle of the washing machine and my hands are getting washed every time I see a sink.

And happy new year to me...

No comments: