Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dinner Tonight

Having to do something tonight (still waiting for book 7 to come, yet not quite desperate enough to try to read the book through deciphering the 795 pictures some crackpot took of an advanced copy and posted on the web), I decided to make dinner.

It was tasty enough to share, so here goes, I shall call it Market and Pantry Soup. (I originally saw a recipe similar to this in Cooking Light).
1/2 box whole wheat corkscrew pasta cooked slightly less than al dente
1 medium sized zucchini, chopped in large chunks
kohlrabi, if you have it, chopped
1 can no salt added tomatoes
3 slices bacon
1 small onion chopped
1/2 jar of yellow or red roasted peppers, drained and chopped
1 box organic, low sodium chicken broth
Bunch of fresh parsley

Saute the bacon and onion, inhale. Add peppers. Get all the yummy bits off the bottom on the pan by adding a small amount of broth (deglase). Add kohlrabi. Let it chill it out for a few minutes. Add zucchini. Add can of tomatoes. Spice how you want; I used red pepper flakes, sea salt, a little Italian seasoning and black pepper. Add remaining broth. Add mostly cooked pasta. Let incorporate as long as you have time for (I went for a 20 minute walk). Add parsley, stir and bowl up. Sprinkle with freshly grated good cheese (the saltier the better, here, I think).

* Do you get why I call it Market & Pantry Soup? All the ingredients I had on hand either from the farmer's market or always stocked in the pantry. Okay, so I had to buy the bacon, but I bought only four slices from Weiland's (local gourmet grocery). If you try it, let me know what you think.

No comments: