Thursday, October 18, 2007

Don't Listen Too Closely

Teaching yoga also teaches humility. I've mentioned I've become a better communicater (at least on the mat), but this week I've also noticed how helping others find their response to yoga is also quite humbling. Of course, there are still times my class laughs at me when I start teaching a new pose. They'll work with me for the most part, but some things just leave some students sitting on their mats saying no way, forget it. I thought this would bother me, but it doesn't really. I wish they would try, but I'm not the one to judge to that. Instead I just say, if it isn't work for you today, just sitting quietly on your mat and breathing. But they still laugh, and that really works to keep my humble.


I'm also saying things in class that just sound wacky. I've caught myself saying "swaying in tree and accepting that because all trees sway" and "coming into a fetal position, a place we've all been and where we feel safe." I can't say some of these things with straight face, but I say them as filler. I only hope my students don't listen too closely. If they do, they must be thinking I'm at total nut job.

My class must not think me totally ready for the asylum, because they are looking to extend my classes. I was only scheduled to volunteer for the month of October, but we're going to discuss payment for me teaching once a week through the end of the year. How exciting - I really have enjoyed teaching and look forward to continuing.

No comments: