Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Practicing Teacher

I now have three yoga classes which I have taught under my belt, or mat so to speak. Considering how long it took me to get to the teaching step after taking the training course last year at this time, I am pleased with how things have gone. I've taken many yoga classes over the years, but I don't think I have ever given enough respect to the instructors. Teaching yoga is challenging. It's all trying to motivate the class, keeping them safe and properly getting them in and out of poses and reminding them to breathe is a lot harder than it seems. Not to mention keeping the left and right straight in your head. There are a lot of verbal cues I want to be giving the classes, but I don't have time. It only takes so long to stand up and I could say a whole paragraph about how exactly to stand. It's also hard to remind people to keep their heads down when your head is up because you are trying to see what the heck that guy is the back row is trying to do.

However, I am really enjoying the challenge. I feel like a better person when I'm helping others find the right posture. There are so many things I really love about yoga and I like sharing those. Not to be all corny and new age-like, but when I'm teaching I feel a light coming out of me and that warmth touching my students. I love that my students have come back three times now and my class is even growing!

There are a lot of things I need to work on, but this experience has so far been a good one. I also really like that I'm working with employees of a non-profit. If anyone needs the free stress relief I'm providing, it's these folks.

No comments: