Friday, September 21, 2007

Practice Makes Better

Last year at this time, I took a training class to be certified in teaching yoga. Deepening my practice means, to me, sharing all the beneficial aspects I love about yoga with others. I figured through instructing, I could impact a community, further develop my own practice and also make some extra money. I still plan on doing these things, but my procrastinating habit and a sizable amount of fear have stymied me. As I mentioned once before, in order to finish this certification all trainees must first do eight hours of community service. The organization which is giving me the certification thinks this is a great plan because it not only exposes people to yoga who otherwise might not have the opportunity, it also provides practice for new instructors. I agree with this and for 12 months have really meant to complete these hours and be on my way. I just haven't...

One of the women who teaches a yoga class I often take was recently able to push me into finishing the certification and even helped me find a place to do the eight hours of service. She basically said to me what I've been thinking for 12 months: it's something I just need to do, it is never going to get easier, there is not ever going to be a perfect time to do this, I owe it to myself to take this next step. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else because for an hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout October, I'll be leading the employees of Goodwill (not more than 12 per class) in basic yoga.

I'm really excited to be doing this, but I need to practice more before I'm ready to face a class of 12 and walk them through 60 minutes of postures. It's surprisingly difficult to explain some of the postures while maintaining good form. So far my only audience has been Prada, who seems to enjoy watching and listening to me practice. She'll even roll around a bit as if trying to imitate some of the postures I am doing. Even without opposable thumbs, she's got a pretty good happy baby! I guess if teaching humans doesn't work out for me, I could start a practice devoted to felines.

No comments: