Sunday, September 2, 2007

Reading

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Whoa. Mom warned me this book was weird and I have to say it wasn't cheery, but I really liked it. Haunting is a adjective for this book because I keep thinking about the unnamed man and his son making their way through this nuclear winter type environment. The book was startlingly to me (other than just with the vivid imagery and bleakness of their world) because there was no explanation of how the pair ended up traveling the road. What was the event which sent their world into darkness? How long had they been traveling? At one point did they have other companions? How old is the boy? The novel was very specific in it's scope and wasn't answering these questions, but I would really like to know. I didn't see the Oprah when she interviewed the author and I wonder if he addressed any of these things.

If you have any interest in this book, I would recommend it, but just don't be expecting a light road-trip memoir.

No comments: