Thursday, September 13, 2007

Slightly Not Average

Looks like we are in the minority, according to this story in the Columbus Dispatch saying Columbus has a higher than national average of 20-something singles who are waiting until their 30s to tie the knot. Granted, when I do get married this November, I'll be less than two months shy of the big 3-0. Chris, on the other hand, just turned 28. Either way you slice it, we waited until our later 20s to get married.

I'm sure there are those out there who bemoan this trend of getting married later in life, but I think it is a good thing. When I think back to my early 20s, I know I was not ready to make a life-long decision. I was good at making happy hour decisions, but I wasn't ready for a marriage. I changed a good deal between 20 and 26 and while it may be possible to go through those changes with a partner, it has to be rough and unfortunately, that sometimes take a toll ending in divorce. I also think many people (women especially) need this early 20s time to be on their own: to explore who they are and who they want to be. Having to do things on your own makes you a stronger person. I like to think strong people make better partners and thus better marriages.

Clearly everyone does what is right for themselves, when it is right to do it. I'm just glad to see as a city, we're not rushing into anything too fast. Maybe Columbus just has a whole bunch of commitment-phobics. In fact, I'm pretty sure I dated a number of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha. Amen sister!

Anonymous said...

I was 29 and my husband was 27 when we got married and it couldn't have been more perfect. i agree totally.