Friday, November 9, 2012

Brothers

As Leo is growing up our house is becoming a sometimes battle zone.  One where the little brother charges full steam ahead into a train track or block creation built by the older brother.  Screams of "no Weo" are heard, some pushing happens and then there are tears.

I'm not sure what the solution to this is.  Leo can't be held responsible for his actions yet, but he is totally instigating.  Milo can't push or hit people even if he's not liking what they are doing, but I can see how this can be frustrating.  We've tried having them play in separate rooms, but that's just not as much fun.  I've suggested certain toys only come our during nap time, but that isn't always agreeable.

It's all a work in progress. To help my along the way I read Siblings Without Rivalry.  The tips from this book might be helpful down the road, but not quite yet.  One thing the book did mention is letting the children voice their negative emotions toward the other children.  This was hard to hear!  I mentioned to Milo one day that is must be frustrating to have a little brother.  He agreed and said he didn't want him anymore.  As much as I wanted to talk him out of this, I stayed silent for a few moments.  Milo then said well I guess I like him sometimes too so maybe we will keep him.  Yes, maybe we will keep them both.

No comments: